12-Steps For Recovery and Discovery
1. We accept that we have given our power over to our addictive, compulsive, and codependent patterns of thought and behavior. In the attempt to fill the void, rather than embrace it, our lives have become unmanageable.
2. We have come to believe that a power -greater than anything we ever knew we could access within ourselves- can open us up to love and nurture us through our path of recovery and discovery.
3. Knowing that unconditional love is the healer, we have made a decision to surrender our will and our lives to the care of an inner greater power as we understand it.
4. We have made a loving and fearless inventory of ourselves.
5. We have shared our inventory with our greater power and another person without the need for self-recrimination, knowing that in naming our shadow we will open our hearts.
6. We are entirely ready to have our greater power remove all these obstacles and give up the need to be perfect.
7. We humbly ask our greater power to help us let go of all our distractions from the Divine that manifest in negative and self destructive patterns of thought and behavior.
8. We have made a list of all the persons we have harmed while attempting to fill the void, and are willing to make amends to them all forgiving them and ourselves.
9. We have made direct amends to those we have harmed, except when to do so would injure them or others. When making direct amends would cause harm, we make amends through a ritual or ceremony that honors the other and ourselves.
10. We continue to take personal inventory daily, as an act of reverence, committing to our personal growth. When we are wrong, we promptly admit it and lovingly accept responsibility for our mistakes. We also admit when our boundaries have been violated and choose to fearlessly and lovingly tell the truth to free ourselves from the bondage of inauthentic living.
11. We grow through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our inner greater power, praying only for knowledge of our greater power’s will for us and the love and strength to carry that out in our daily lives by acting from love, rather than from fear.
12. As a result of these steps we reach a greater understanding of our true selves and are able to carry the message of recovery and discovery in our daily lives. We then live the passionate dance of co-creating our lives through the synthesis of our will and the will and wisdom of our inner divine spirit.
Adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous, Co-dependents Anonymous, and Humans Anonymous.